Call for Contributions
IWSM-MENSURA 2019 is the Joint conference of the 29th International Workshop on Software Measurement (IWSM) and the 14th International Conference on Software Process and Product Measurement (MENSURA). It is the premier international conference on software measurement. Over the past two decades, the conference has built its reputation by attracting leading-edge research together with talks, tutorials and discussions by the leaders and innovators in the field. This year the conference will focus on the Information Technology (IT) Cost Estimation.
Call for Contributions
We invite paper proposals from researchers and practitioners in all fields of software measurement. This year we particularly encourage proposals from experienced industry practitioners and researchers on the state-of-the-art and the future of IT cost estimation and control. The main goal is to share experiences, challenges and solution approaches to facilitate technology transfers from best estimation-related practices developed by researchers and world industry experts.
We also invite speakers with interesting stories or workshop ideas on the IT Cost Estimation topics, listed below. These speakers can contact the organizing team directly by sending an e-mail to email@example.com.
Submission Guidelines for Full and Short Papers
All submissions must be formatted according to Springer’s LNCS formatting guidelines. Submissions must be in English, and must not exceed 16 pages for full papers and 8 pages for short papers. The title page must contain a short abstract clarifying the relation of the paper with the topics above. Papers must be submitted electronically in PDF format via the IWSM 2019 Easy Chair submission site.
Submissions must be original contributions that have neither been published previously nor submitted to other conferences or journals while being submitted to IWSM-Mensura 2019. Authors are encouraged to adhere to the best practices of Reproducible Research (RR), by making available data and related tools for reproducing the results reported in their papers.
Accepted papers will be included in the conference proceedings published by CEUR. For each accepted paper, at least one author must register for the conference and present the paper. Publication of extended version of selected papers in a special issue of the ‘Journal of Computer Standards & Interfaces’ (in SCI) is under negotiation.
Final presentations must be submitted one week before the conference to allow posting them on the conference website on time for the conference itself. All papers must be original and not simultaneously submitted to another journal or conference.
List of Topics
Topics specific to IT Cost Estimation:
- IT support of business goals, e.g.:
- How to measure the alignment of IT to support business goals
- Cost of integrated software, e.g.:
- How to estimate integrated software that consists of standard packaged software and bespoke business specific software
- IT Cost estimation, e.g.:
- This decade the focus of estimation was on software – how the interchange of software, hardware and infrastructure leads to an integrated IT Cost Estimation
- The Value of IT, e.g.:
- How to calculate upfront the potential value that certain business software will create
- Portfolio estimation, e.g.:
- How to characterize a software portfolio in terms of bespoke software / packages / interfacing / hardware / infrastructure etc
- Trends for the new decade, e.g.:
- How IT Cost Estimation looks like in a world of agile software development, where co-creation between customers and suppliers of innovative IT systems is a trend – Can we adapt the current way we estimate or do we need a new approach to IT Cost Estimation?
Generic software measurement topics:
- Measuring and quantifying value
- Measurement processes and resources, e.g. agile or model-driven
- Usage of big data analytics for improving products and processes
- Empirical case studies
- Software measurement data mining
- Decision support systems based on software measurement
- Data driven decision making
- Visualizations and dashboards
- Service-and product-oriented measures
- Ayça Tarhan, Hacettepe University, co-chair
- Maya Daneva, University of Twente, co-chair
- For PC members, please see the organization page
IWSM-Mensura 2019 proceedings will be published online through CEUR. For each accepted paper, at least one author must register for the conference and present the paper.
Extended versions of selected papers accepted to the conference will be invited for submission to a special issue (SI: Standards in Software Measurement) of the journal of ‘Computer Standards & Interfaces’ (in SCI). For context description of the special issue, please see below.
CSI-SI: Standards in Software Measurement (SSM)
Software is a critical part of any computer-based system and effective software production requires applying measurement-based practices. Abstract and changeable nature of software makes it challenging to integrate measurement practices into software production. To cope with this challenge, standards in software measurement provide a verified, trustable base to acknowledge and disseminate knowledge on software measures and measurement practices. There are various standards that address software size and quality measurements as well as software measurement processes.
The objective of this special issue is to collect and report on recent high-quality research that cope with different challenges and bring proposals in applying the software measurement standards. Such research may include –but not limited to– functional size measurement, reliability evaluation, usability measurement, security assessment and adopting measurement practices in plan-driven and agile development contexts. High-quality contributions that address related theoretical and practical aspects are expected.
The conference will be held in the Philharmonie, the Haarlem music hall.
Important Note: COSMIC FSM Certification Exam will be scheduled within the conference as demanded by the participants.
All questions about paper submissions should be emailed to:
- Ayça Tarhan: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Maya Daneva: email@example.com
All questions about industry presentations and workshop ideas should be emailed to:
- Frank Vogelezang: firstname.lastname@example.org